The Belly Dance Year of You in Review
Still streaming on the news are various 2011The Year In Review. How many times to we need to hear about Royal Weddings, Mega-Star marriages and divorces and a who’s-who of new arrivals to the Pearly Gates?
I would much rather focus on me.... of course. And by me, I mean my Year In Review... and how can that help me chart a course for this new year.
As I thought further, I realized that the following list is a really good guide for all of us in our belly dance journey.
I encourage you to take a moment... and answer these questions yourself.
You may find that you are being too hard on yourself in accessing your advancements in your belly dance life. You may have more achievements than you thought. On the other hand, you may be able to refocus in 2012... and this may be your catalyst.
Here's mine...which I think, alas, may be a little boring... but by publishing it... it helps me to stay focus and motivated. Maybe it will help you too. If you do decide to include it in a blog, please link with me & let me know... I’d love to read it and maybe we will have a cool chain develop among us!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’ve never done before? I quit feeling anger toward a former employee who stole a LOT of money from me. Now I pitty her.
2. Did you keep your belly dance new year’s resolutions, and will you have any this year? Yes, I began teaching again; something I’ve put on hold for way too long. Will I have any for this year? Yes! I will separate my work about belly dance from belly dancing and add more dance time into my schedule.
3. Did you introduce a newbie to belly dance? I am proud to say, YES! Through my newbie classes and also because of the feature in Woman’s Day Magazine this past year
4. What travels did you take, and did you involve belly dance in them? All of them... California, Chicago, New Orleans, Texas, and a few other places too.
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? More time with the family and a Belly Dance Video Blog...... oh yeah baby, stay tuned!
6. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 2 & 3 when I performed at the Essence Festival... December 17th-when I ran away with my teenage daughter for a mom/daughter trip in Beverly Hills a special time for us without anyone else!
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finally launching the new Shop on HipMix.net. It was my concept for more than 4 years...
8. What was your biggest failure? Neglecting my own belly dance training and growth
9. Did you suffer illness or injury? I’ve been putting off getting my knees checked, the pain comes and goes... less on the going. Also my TMJ has really become a source of increased discomfort. Ok, just made Dr appt for knee, and have Dr appt for TMJ in 1 hour.
10. What was the best thing you bought? My 2012 Sequoia
11. What did you get really excited about? Seeing a photo of me from when I was 30 and realizing that I am healthier and younger looking NOW at 42.
12. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Speak Turkish and listened to more Turkish broadcasts... I am losing the language :(
13. What do you wish you’d done less of? Drinking Red Wine... I have a few extra inches since that last wine trip in Napa that I haven’t lost yet.
14. What seemed to get in the way of your belly dancing? Work
15. What was your favorite music from this year? I have really enjoyed listening to the classics in belly dance more... oh and Tarkan’s latest recordings (of course)
16. What did you do on your birthday? Celebrate with my hubby and besties in California... in Carmel to be exact!
17. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have returned to my home in Istanbul
18. How would you describe your belly dance style in 2011? hurried, rushed and a little lazy
19. What were the major influences on your belly dance journey in 2011? Spending time in the studio with Princess Farhana and the advice she gave me on becoming a dancer that is more “in the moment.”
19 Things?? Why? Because I like prime numbers!
So that's mine. I hope you’ll share yours too... I really would like to learn and be inspired from your Year in Review... xoxo ~Dilara