Food For The Busy Belly Dancer: Top 10 Must Have Snacks on the Go!
Nutritional balance is a real necessity when it comes to a dancer's body. A belly dancer typically burns around 250 calories during a dance class, and that energy has to come from somewhere. But due to the fast pace of everyday life, it is often knowing what snacks can be thrown in your bag before setting off to yet another belly dance workshop. With countless so-called "healthy snacks" on the market, which ones actually benefit your body the most, and which ones won’t leave you either ravenously hungry or nauseously over-full?
1. Nutritional snack bars or granola bars are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Be careful which ones you pickup though, as many are filled with empty calories. The healthiest bars contain approximately 100 calories.
2. Nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts, are filled with protein which is necessary in building and repairing body tissue.
3. Seeds, such as pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, combine protein and Omega-3 fatty acid that preserve a healthy heart.
4. Fresh fruit is full of natural sugars and fiber, which will sustain your energy for longer.
5. Dried fruit, such as raisins or apricots are fast energy pick-me-ups. They contain iron, potassium and fiber, and are good at maintaining your blood sugar levels.
6. Whole grain muffins or bagels, preferably with dried fruit in the mixture, are easy to digest and provide instant fuel.
7. Rice cakes are low in calories and are a perfect alternative to potato chips.
8. Whole wheat hard pretzels are a low fat carbohydrate. Although they have some salt sprinkled on the top, it is important for dancers to have a small amount of extra salt in their diet to replace what is lost when they sweat.
9. Whole grain sandwiches with a low fat filling will give you enough energy to last throughout the class without leaving you feeling bloated. Whole grain foods are also known for lowering your blood pressure.
10. Raw vegetable sticks, such as carrots or cucumbers, are rich in magnesium, potassium and fiber. They allow for healthy digestion and increase your stamina.
It is vital for dancers to sustain energy levels in an effort to avoid a magnitude of problems. Just consuming one of the healthy snacks above will help you maintain focus, prevent injury and retain more information from the class. Your body will thank you for it!