Food for Belly Dancers: Low-Calorie "Skinny" Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Tex-Mex food is notorious for being deep fried, refried, and deliciously bad for you. It's packed with trans and saturated fats from the frying oils and usually topped off with fattening "goodies" like sour cream, shredded cheese and guacamole.
Dilara and the hip culinary minds at HipMix.net have transformed your favorite chicken fajitas into something a little more figure flattering. We swapped out the sour cream for a spicy Greek yogurt, and the guacamole for a zesty avocado dressing. At under 350 calories a serving (for two fajitas!), you may have to tell your favorite taqueria "Adios"!
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 orange and/or yellow bell peppers, quartered, seeds removed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Combine cilantro, lime juice, broth, scallions, garlic, jalapeno, honey, and salt in a blender, puree until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons; do not wash out the blender.
- Put chicken breasts in a medium bowl and the peppers and onions in another. Divide remaining cilantro puree evenly between the chicken, peppers and onions. Toss well to coat chicken and vegetables and let stand, at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
- Add avocado, 1/2 cup water, and reserved 2 tablespoons cilantro sauce to blender. Puree until smooth and season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a small skillet set over medium heat until hot. Add cumin and coriander, continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour spices over yogurt and set aside for the flavors to blend. Stir before serving.
- Preheat a grill for medium-high/direct heat cooking. Oil grill grates. Grill chicken and vegetables, turning, until vegetables are tender and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 5 to 8 minutes for vegetables and 12 to 15 minutes for chicken. Let chicken rest 5 minutes.
- Place the tortillas on the grill until just warmed through, about 30 seconds.
- Assemble your fajitas with the sliced chicken breast, peppers, avocado dressing and spicy yogurt - now you've got a fiesta!