Food For Belly Dancers: Fruit Kebabs with Zesty Dips
Kebabs are skewers of delicious grilled meat and vegetable that nomads in the Middle East and North Africa cooked over fires at the end of the day. Nowadays, creative cooks capitalize on this idea by grilling fruit for lip-smacking entertaining ideas with family and friends. Leftovers, if any, revive taste buds and happy memories the next day.
If you don't have a grill, just marinate fruit chunks in freshly squeezed orange-lemon-lime juices for a few hours. When guests show up, skewer the fruit kebabs to serve with vanilla ice cream for a pretty dessert that’s also healthy and delectable.
We can never ever have enough fresh fruit. Redolent in vitamins C, A and E, fresh fruit fights anti-aging by building collagen. The body needs collagen to build connective tissue in the muscles—strong muscles that help dancers twirl effortlessly on the dance floor. Fresh fruit also builds strong nails and a full, glossy head of hair.
Keep in mind that grilling fresh fruit intensifies flavors and enhances sweetness. Balance these robust flavors by offering your guests dips such as caramel sauce, dark chocolate sauce, Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt and French vanilla ice cream. Healthy toppings such as fresh mint and roasted sunflower seeds complete the colorful and dazzling selections.
Recipe - Grilled Fruit Kebabs
- 2 pounds fresh fruit cut into bite-sized pieces—pineapple, melon, apple, mango and banana are appropriate for the grill (hold off softer fruit such as berries and grapes for ungrilled kebabs)
- 10-inch long bamboo skewers
- Flavorless grapeseed oil
- Skewer fruit and grill over low heat for 2-3 minutes, turning once.
- Lightly brush on oil to prevent burning.
- Serve with dips listed above.
Recipe - Fresh Fruit Kebabs
- 2 pounds fresh fruit—use a combination of soft (berries, kiwi, etc.) and chunkier fruit
- Orange, lime and lemon juice concentrates—mix and taste per your preference.
- Marinate for a few hours cut fruit and juices in a covered glass container.
- Skewer and serve with dips listed above.